Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Internship In New York City

This is a post I started, but did not finish from April of 2012. Now I really need to catch up!

So, I originally had the intention of posting during my internship experience, especially so I could send updates to my classmates. However, when I realized that I had almost a full year of catching up on my blog I realized that I would probably have to do the catching up first. I will share a few of the things that I learned from this experience as well as some of the pictures.

For a little bit of background information, I did my internship with New York Presbyterian Hospital- The University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell Medical Schools. I was working with the Ambulatory Care Network there, which is focused on community outreach. The programs that I was involved with are called CHALK (Choosing Healthy and Active Lifestyles for Kids), a childhood obesity prevention program, and HSHF (Healthy Schools Healthy Families).

Here are some pictures of me in front of the hospital on my first day. This is the main NYP hospital campus and it is located in Northern Manhattan. There are several other campuses on Manhattan as well, but this is the main one, and just for the record it takes up between 5-6 city blocks. It's huge! It was a really great opportunity for me to be able to do an internship with this prestigious organization. NYP is the #1 hospital in New York City, and ranked #8 in the U.S. It is very impressive.



Here are a few pictures of me working at different events in the communities, helping to teach the importance of healthy nutrition and exercise.







No comments:

Post a Comment